Orange Panther Pinewood Derby Car Kit Instructions
This car kit is no longer available.
You can find our current pre-cut pinewood derby cars here.
Your kit should have the following parts:
- Car Block – this block is pre-weighted. Your car will weigh close to 5 oz when completed.
- Windshield Parts
- Black Racing Stripes Sheet
- Orange Paint
- Black Paint Marker
- Clear Paint
- Axle Guard Set
- Paint Brush
- Hob-E-Lube Graphite
- Wheels and Axles (if ordered)
In addition, you will need a small phillips screwdriver.
IMPORTANT – READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS FIRST BEFORE BEGINNING TO BUILD YOUR CAR
- Sand the car block with the lowest numbered sandpaper. You will find the number on the back of each sandpaper sheet. Remove any rough spots and sharp edges with the sandpaper. The block should feel smooth to the touch when done.
- Shake the Orange paint vigorously for one minute. Paint the car block with one thin coat of paint. Rinse the brush with water then dry the brush with a soft cloth. Let the paint dry for at least two hours.
- Lightly sand the car with the highest numbered sandpaper. The block should feel smooth to the touch.
- Give the car two or three more coats of paint. Let dry for at least one hour between coats. Do not sand between coats. Let the last coat dry over night.
- Decide which windshield style you want to use. Four different patterns are included in the Windshield kit.
- Place the windshield on the car (do not glue) and trace around the windshield lightly with a pencil. Paint this area with the black paint marker. Paint the front bumper of the car with the black paint marker. Let dry.
- Decide on what racing stripe pattern you want to use. A wide variety can be made with the two racing stripe sheets that are included with this kit.
- Measure and cut the racing stripes to the correct length then apply to your car. No glue is needed.
- Give the car a coat of the clear paint. Let dry for at least 2 hours.
- Attach the Axle Guards to the car. Go to http://www.abc-pinewood-derby.com/axle-guard.htm for full instructions.
- Glue the windshield to the car. You may find it easier to glue one side of the windshield to the car and let it dry before gluing the rest of the windshield. Adult supervision is recommended when using super glue.
- Examine the other parts that came with the windshield kit. File or sand any flange or rough edges. File part of the driver’s hands so that the steering wheel will fit in them.
- You can leave the parts un-painted for a chrome look or paint one or more of the parts with the black and orange paint. Here is how we painted the driver.
- When the paint has dried, glue the head and steering wheel to the driver.
- Glue the parts to the car. Let dry for at least one hour.
- If you are using your own axles or if you bought un-prepared
axles from us, be sure to file off the crimp marks and burrs.
- Lubricate with graphite then mount the axles on the wheels. Go to http://www.abc-pinewood-derby.com/axle-guard.htm for full instructions.